Wednesday, May 22, 2013

I Did Not Hear the Winds

I was not living in Joplin when the EF-5 tornado hit it on May 22nd, 2011. I moved there almost exactly a year later, and I had no special connection to anyone who was affected by the storm that year. Since then, though, I have made some amazing friends, many of whom were in the tornado. Because of the stories I've heard and the things I have seen, the anniversary of the tornado has a different relevance for me this year than it did last year. After everything I have heard about that day, I'm left remembering today.

Today, I thank God for his protection and provision during and since the storm for the people of Joplin. I thank Him for the healing that he continues to bring, and for the strength He instilled in these people. Joplin is an awesome city that got right back on its feet and began the process of recovery. I'm so proud to call it home now. The words to this poem have been on my heart as this two year anniversary approached.

I did not hear the winds.
I did not feel your fear.
I did not cry with all my friends.
I did not lose someone dear.

I can't relate to this town,
Like one who lived or lost.
I have no idea of the sound.
I was not left or tossed.

I was miles away at home.
My mother broke the news.
So I listened to the T.V drone,
And watched the rescue crews.

I've moved to this city now.
I've heard stories of that day.
Though I did not see the storm endowed,
I see where it made its way.

Two years since have come and gone,
And this town's now made of friends.
Today I'll remember and carry on,
Though I did not hear the winds.

-Andrea


8 comments: